(House and Home - April 2016)
1. START WITH YOUR COLOUR SCHEME
For a head to toe makeover the first step is creating a palette.
2. PUT INVESTMENT PIECES FRONT AND CENTER
If you truly love something you'll want to put it on display.
3. FAKE HEIGHT WITH LOW FURNITURE
Create strong verticals and avoid the horizontal.
4. GIVE WINDOW TRIMS A SPLASH OF COLOUR
Window trim is often overlooked opportunity to make a statement.
5. WARM UP A ROOM WITH MIRRORS
6. DON'T SKIMP ON THE SOFA
Don't postpone a makeover because of naturally messy kids. Put your money into a comfortable well-made sofa that you'll have forever.
7. AMPLIFY NEUTRALS WITH TEXTURE
Neutral decor can be interesting, just include a variety of materials.
8. IMPLEMENT THE 50/150 PAINT RULE
For the perfect colour family mix one batch of paint 50% lighter than the base and another 150% darker. A fail safe method for striping the wall.
9. GO DEEP IN SMALL SPACES
Small spaces don't have to feel cramped.
10. FAVOUR VALUE - ADD PAINT COLOURS
A temporary space can look beautiful, even with a small budget.
11. DON'T SETTLE FOR FLOOD WARNING SIDE PANELS
For classic side panels, you really have to go all the way to the floor. If you're looking at ready made drapes, make sure that they touch the floor.
12. LOOK TO THE CEILING TO BRIGHTEN THINGS UP
Paint the ceiling a slightly paler version of the walls, so the room seems brighter even with just a few windows.
13. MIX, RATHER THAN MATCH YOUR TABLEWARE
Matching can be so overrated and expensive. Look on-line (and in thrift shops) for beautiful sets of antique china.
14. LET GOLD AND SILVER HANG OUT TOGETHER
Metallic finishes already add plenty of sparkle but the sheen will make a bigger impact in a variety of colours.